Saturday, November 19, 2005

Cam Cock Up

Well got my so called "specially made" Fast Road 89 cam from ToiletTune. No suprise its not what it is meant to be. Do people think you specifically ask for something for no reason? Do they think they can fob you off with any old thing in the knowledge that most are to ignorant to ask or know better?

Turns out all toilettune cams are just Kent TH5-TH6-TH7 and an unknown race cam with the same timing on the inlet as the SAH 578....The 89 is good as the inlet is longer than TH5 and its kind of an inbetween cam, not a TH5 or a TH6, but something in between, about the most pokey and daily useable cam...

Hense I was keen to have what i specifically asked for and have waited 4weeks for. Idoits...I could have gone to Kent and had them make me the right cam.....its in the right zone and probably just as good but I don't like being taken for a jerk. It was a new grind from a blank...obvious differencies to my reprofiled 89 from before, such as a larger shaft diameter, less aggressive ramp angles - seems as a consquence of the diameter being bigger on the main shaft...dunno they go round and round and stuff...they look different!

Was thinking about drilling some oil dumping holes in the lower end of the cam followers, just one hole about 3mm....saves all that oil sitting in them if it gets dumped each time they bottom out, as they do protrude out of their slots....this dumps oil in the cam lobe area....lightens the weight of the follower, hopefully stop the often present and hard to stop oil leak on the side of the head/block by where the followers go up and down....

Assembled my new bottomend and checked the deck heights...must be a small variation on the crank as 1-4 are 0.005" under and 2-3 are 0.0005" under...Not much but I will get the two higher pistons machined down, then I can drop the deck by 0.005" and end up flat topped. I just worked out my CR was 9.53 on +40 pistons, its would now be 9.65...decked to 0.000"....with +60's.


My chambers are only 33.2cc stamped this is quite big, I have yet to recheck them...The inlet valves are dished and the chambers been opened out round the 1.5inch inlets, so its probably more than made up for the skim of 0.065" on the head in terms of the chamber work lowering CR.

I will measure the chamber then make a decision on finding 10:1 CR it likes high grade fuel as it was before, so why not use 10:1 and make the most of it I say! Will be able to tune the ignition on the ECU.

Hate having to build up a few times with lovely VP and VP2 bearings....but everything was laboritory clean nothing more than a speck of dust anywhere!

Most engines I take apart to nick stuff from have clearly had the contents of the workshop floor crushed into the bearings on assembly and 50% of the engines wear and scoring came from this shit in the engine from the start---- from some dirty urchin.

I am banking on this motor giving me a few years reliable service with trackdays and few weekends in Germany...fingers crossed! It wont be worn out driving daily this time.

I was also thinking of making a Kastner crank feed thing...instead of the oil going from the cooler back into the block after cooling and filtering or back into the main oil gallery, you have this oil going back from the cooler straight into
an alloy cylinder that runs the length of the block...off this cylinder you take 4 high pressure lines and screw them into the main gallery plug holes...This way you get 4 pipes feeding the main gallery from 4 locations so theres even feeding throughout....i.e not being feed from 1 location.

Sure looks cool 8-)

I need to get my oil pump pickup welded as I hacked it up to make it feed from the middle of the sump and forward from the stupid angled position in the back corner...this awful design gives HUGE braking oil surge which will haunt you all through a downhill left hander, I once counted about 6 seconds with no pressure at all, *gently* cornering, I backed off 8-) scarey. Need baffles also!

No comments: