Sunday, November 25, 2007

Boing Boing Zebedy!

I may have to withdraw my endorsement of the benefits of AVO..Just like them as they are adjustable on car with seat base adjustment.

Hardly what you expect from a 4000mile old, ZERO salt used shock?

I only gave them a wash with white spirit and blasted them with water...

The paint melts then falls off, what wasn't already hanging off...Anyway, stripped down now and I will remove this "paint" and etch them and repaint them...Shite.
I will using this upper mount supplied (shown below) on 2.25" springs from Merlin Motorsport...They do any size, any poundage...The seats may need lathing down slightly. No biggy as the fit is rubbish anyway, the spring all loose and wagging about on the bases...I will size the seats to fit FIRMLY on the retainer rings on top and bottom seats...

This funny top mount lowers the spring level or length requirement by 2"...The springs were 9" Free, miles too long, adjustment base was 4 turns from max low setting...

I will be running 6" FREE 2.25" springs of 500lbs? for a start, this will mean the adjuster seat is half way up the shaft. I will take my old springs down to Merlins and hopefully they can test the poundage and I will go 50lbs lighter to account for engine etc.

Also this means that the springs will be about 3/5ths the weight of the 2.5" 9" ones on there (2.2kilos) and it'll mean tight springs and a neat rig...


The 2.5 I/D springs are actually 2.75", so thats why they are loose...I may not even have to adjust the bases...

Anyway It'll be infinately better.

Also the poly bushes in the base are stuffed, 3rd set in 4000miles...Pissed off. I contacted AVO asking for a set of bearings to be sent free, if they want any more business. You know why they are stuffed? Cause in the old days AVO did two bodies one with a WIDE tube for a stock shock bush and one with a thinner base eye for a bearing...Now to save money they just wack out one type with a thin width eye and slap a poly in the bearing bodies...How can you expect any bush to last when the surface its running inside is only 15mm wide, versus 40mm for the stock bush...


INLIGHT OF THIS OBVIOUS PROBLEM ONLY BUY AVO WITH SPHERICAL BEARINGS IN THE BOTTOM AND BUY TWO 7/16th SIDE SPACERS for rose joints to centralise them on the bolt with some washers to take out the slack...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

The shocks on Matts car are some better made early ones...Quality has really fallen in the last few years...I won't be buying anymore. I won't be using KONI either...Atleast not normal ones...

The guy spraying them obviously doesn't use anything better than some shite from B&Q, they should be etched and 2packed. As I will do...

I be will modifying the way the shock meets the tower, making it hardmounted, so NO rubber bushes. and reinforcing the area. Total control!

No comments: