Thursday, April 24, 2008

Water Rail Part 1

First job make a flange. Restricted the outer hole to 3/4".
Ported the back to match the head for clean flow.
Dropped into Concept Racing and got a better responce in person.

Brought a tight 90 bend, 50cm of straight tube, got them to bend the end to 40deg and bead it for the hose... Not bad for £20...
I had this temp gauge pipe insert before...I stuck in a lathe and chopped the hose ends off it and cut a recess so the tubing friction fits inside either end, to aid to welding, jigging and aligning and it makes a stronger joint.

Basically that part is done, may get it TIG'ed tomorrow, over the weekend I can make a front mount to bolt the front end to the alternator bracket and another mount to bolt it to the head at the back, vibration damping. I can also add a bleeding screw at the highest point, the heater take off tube...

Pleased with progress on that, its exactly what I wanted! That just about nails all the under bonnet fabrication. I can have a test run of the water system then...

May get a bracket added to the swirl pot and apollo tank, to bolt them together, bonnet clearance to the fitting that will go on the swirl pot is minimal, so I can force it down a little with it bolted to the tank.

Anyway, been putting this job off and its worked out well economically...As tubing is hard to get locally...Till I found the concept place...This bespoke stuff can be a pain in the arse driving all over the place to get stuff and get work done, paying for stuff, fuel...time...

No comments: